[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] fixing emacs

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] fixing emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:49:22 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    >     Tom> For starters, I'd start just with "dialog-box" style
    >     Tom> functionality.  Is there a mechanism by which I can put up a
    >     Tom> form with buttons, and check-boxes, and lists, and so forth,
    >     Tom> rendered with native widgets?

    > Yes, in 21.4.  Publicly released in April 2001.  The feature was
    > available in devo since about 1997. [....]

    >     Tom> The redisplay engine, to display a window on a 'dialog
    >     Tom> buffer, should build a widget tree.  Widget-callbacks and so
    >     Tom> forth should be hidden from Emacs lisp -- just translated
    >     Tom> into (perhaps new types of) events which the major-mode of
    >     Tom> the 'dialog buffer can decide how to handle.  I doubt that
    >     Tom> that would require major changes to the redisplay engine.

    > Not any more.  I don't know how much was required when it was done 4
    > years ago.

Either you've misunderstood what I've proposed or you have a web site
problem in the sense that your website gives no obvious hint of these
capabilities.

I'll start a download of xemacs tonight before turning in.  What do
you suggest I run to see where things are at (sorry, you've suggested
some in the thread -- but could you summarize, with this capability in
mind and also point to the the right .el files to read.

    >     Tom> 1) Windows and frames: I think it would be awefully nice to
    >     Tom> sqeeze into window-separators and modelines some tiny
    >     Tom> controls for splitting windows and deleting windows.

    > Ancient history.  I don't think we have that by default but I know
    > there are hacks for it.

Same deal -- I'm just going off your screenshots.   What should I do
to enable this?

    >     Tom> anemic subprocess mgt; etc

    >     Tom> my bet would be that 'dialog buffers alone would find a lot
    >     Tom> of use

    > You're wrong.  They've been available for years, and nobody uses
    > them,

Well, let's see whether or not we're really talking about the same
thing.

    > or even requests them.  They'd be great in Custom, but Custom is so
    > fragile and unstable that nobody is willing to rewrite in a way that
    > makes the quarterly GNU synch harder.  GNU Emacs doesn't support them,
    > so it's too much pain for too little gain.

You've captured my interest, at least.   Let's figure out what's up.