[Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications]

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:57:05 +1000

Bah, silly aliasing in post ing this.

Ro
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 05:23:43 -0400
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:14:00 +1000
On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 19:24, Miles Bader wrote:

> It's the `no more than you have to' point that seems the stickler,
> though.  Tom's remark that that nothing should be getting commited
> except completely clean (heh, `pure') changesets seems like a good
> reason not to try this optimization...

Lets say in mainline you have a function "foo".

You rename to "clearer_name".

In a branch, "child", you use foo in more places than in mainline.

The merge of the change from "foo" to "clearer_name" from mainline to
child is only accurately represented by a changeset that includes
renaming the additional uses, OR, by an unaltered changeset + an
adjustment changeset.

pure-merge the script is a proof-of-concept. It immediately highlit a
problem in the design that we'd done on IRC, and led to a revised design
that is more flexible and reliable.. but it needs an enhancement to
whats-missing to allow it to work - and I've not had the time to hack up
the requisite logic. (Which is quite simple).

Rob