Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla on itanium

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla on itanium
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:21:56 +0100

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 06:14:52PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>       I get a segmentation fault running tla get
> address@hidden/squid--HEAD--3.0 on itanium. Thats a
> webdav enabled http server...

Firstly, a warning: tla is riddled with 32bit-isms. It is not at all
happy about running on ia64, and I do not have time or patience to go
hunting. Even *without -Wall*, it generates warnings; with it, plus a
few other choice flags, it raises thousands of things which are
probably bugs, mostly to do with signedness, sizes, or alignment.

Do not stake anything important on these issues being fixed in the
near future. Several months ago, I did enough to make hackerlab build
and stopped, having discovered just how huge the job was. You're
looking at several man-days of work for somebody familiar with the
code. And it's very boring work.

In general, I will (eventually) track down any fatal bugs that I hear
of in platforms which are targetted for a Debian release, which
includes ia64. However, it is not a priority.

> a bt full follows.
>
> How much $$$ would be needed to get you to track this down (assuming
> it's not blindingly obvious) - it's for a project I'm involved in, and
> I'm flat-out as it is..

Note that access to an ia64 is a precondition for this.

This particular stack trace smells like a neon bug, however. Neon also
has portability issues, albeit not quite in such quantity. But it's
hard to tell.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |