[Gnu-arch-users] Re: register-archive potential ambiguity

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: register-archive potential ambiguity
Date: 09 Sep 2003 15:34:40 +0900

Samium Gromoff <address@hidden> writes:
>       Say we have an archive (i don`t think there is difference between
>  local/remote in this case) address@hidden
>       Could there be any problem if i register it like:
>       tla register-archive address@hidden

There's no fundamental problem, but note that if the archive contains
tags that point to address@hidden/...' then it won't realize that it
can get them from address@hidden, it will look for them in whatever
archive is register as address@hidden (if any).

Sometimes it can be useful to have the two names be different, e.g., if
you want to to keep track of multiple copies of the same `logical'
archive.  I have address@hidden' point to the main R/W copy of
my archive, and address@hidden' point to the mirror on, even though in some sense they're the same archive.

[tla's mirroring system uses various conventions like appending `-SOURCE'
or `-MIRROR' to the archive name]

>       Shouldn`t it better take one location argument and then deduce the name
>  from the ?

That might be a useful shortcut, but it can't be the only method.

`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson