[Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:09:23 +0900

John Goerzen <address@hidden> writes:
> > There's linux--linus, linus--ac, linux--aa, linux--mm, etc.
>
> But that is not really a branch, it's more a category.

I'm not sure what I can say to you; it seems completely obvious that
these are different branches of linux.  Just say it in english.

> I expect to see:
>
> alan--mainline--2.4
> alan--pre--2.4
>
> etc. in the future.
>
> What would you have me do, linux--linus-mainline--2.4?

I'd suggest just `linux--linus--2.4'.

The `pre' and `test' series are really not branches in any strong sense,
they're tweaks on the version number (essentially a sort of negative
final component).  Linus releases a linear stream of kernels, whereas
the term branch implies at least the possibility of parallel development.

> What makes that any better than what I'm doing now?  We all know it's
> Linux already; what does it buy *anyone* to repeat it?

What do you mean `we all know it's linux'?  In the context of this
message, sure, since you just said that, but what about the -- usual --
context of a bunch of cat--branch names in an archive somewhere?

In the case of `linus', well, given a revision name you kind of can
guess what it is, since the two names are almost the same (though linus
has written other stuff than linux).  But if I have a bunch of stuff in
arch, much of which is not related to linux at all, and I see the name
`alan--mainline--2.5' (as you suggest), what do I make of it?

>From your message, you seem to have pushed the name `linux` into the
archive name; I guess that's fine for you, though it is not the usual
convention, but what about other people that want to make a tag of your
stuff?  Do they need to all make a new archive just for linux?  If I
make my own branch, I can call it whatever I want, but a slignt bit of
consistency would be nice...

> And why is it such a big deal?

Because it's ugly and confusing.

Look, I know you did a lot of work on it, and I do feel a bit of cad
for jumping right up and bitching, but names _are_ important.  Call me
a pedant, whatever.

-Miles