[Gnu-arch-users] Vim arch repository.

From: David Brown
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Vim arch repository.
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:17:14 -0700

All of the talk about the Linux tree got me thinking.

Currently, I maintain the vim CVS tree on sourceforge.  At this point, I
think I'd also like to put some of vim's history into arch, and now that
I have moderate connectivity (not fast, but exportable), I would
consider putting a vim arch repository up.

So, what about names :-)

A category of vim makes sense.

Bram splits the distribution in to different groups of files, targed for
different OS's.  The CVS repository contains all of these files.  Since
the groups overlap, I'm not going to try and maintain that separation.

Bram then has a series of 2 point version releases.  There are snapshots
of old version (pick and choose), and all of the files from 5.0, 5.1,
... up to the current 6.2.

For each point release, there are a series of patch releases, 6.1.001,
6.1.002, 6.1.003, and so on.

Right before a movement to a new release, there are a series of
pre-releases  6.1a, 6.1b, 6.1c, until 6.1 is releases.

Here are my ideas for branch and versions.

vim--bram--6.2  would be the released 6.2.  Patch 6.2.035 would be
vim--bram--6.2--patch-35.

vim--pre--6.3  would be the pre-release snapshots of 6.3.  Once the real
release of 6.3 comes out, it would become vim--bram--6.3.

One concern I have about trying to keep the patches in line with Bram,
is that if I mess up at all, I could get my patch numbers out of sync
with his.  I guess I just need to be careful.  Plus, it isn't too hard
to back out a change in arch, if I get desparate?

For an archive name, 'address@hidden', would work for me.

Any suggestions?
Dave Brown