Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames" [was: ANN: Linux Kernel A

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames" [was: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:51:59 +1000

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:47, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> So I think that a reasonable extension to ensure global uniqueness of
> a category would be to keep a history of external tags back to the
> archive where the project was first imported.  It would be that
> archive that determines the "true name" of the category.

It's already there and in use. Unless you deliberately join-tree,
categorys with the same name are independent. Want to avoid merging code
from someone? Well, thats an orthogonal feature, and interesting in it's
own right. 'Re-homing' the tree history though, I simply don't grok. You
don't need to rehome, because the root has never changed.

Personally, I think what you are proposing is more confusing than not.

Rob