[Gnu-arch-users] talk amongst yourselves: "iterated" operations over con

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] talk amongst yourselves: "iterated" operations over configs
Date: 15 Sep 2003 22:21:06 -0700

A lot of arch commands are also useful in the context of applying the
command to each tree in a config.  For example, I often do:

tla catcfg | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -n1 -i tla what-changed --dir

There's quite a few commands which could be "iterated" like this over
the project trees in a config.  I think it's worth thinking about a way
of trying to systematize such operations and build them into the cli.

My first guess at a decent cli is to provide an argument analogous to
the usual --dir argument; I guess --config is the most obvious choice.

Then you could do things like:

tla what-changed --config
tla commit --config
tla replay --config
tla update --config
tla undo --config
tla redo --config
tla tree-lint --config

There may be others which are useful, but those seem like the usual
suspects.

Comments?  Takers on implementation?

Bob