Re: [Gnu-arch-users] reminder: winning smallish project

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] reminder: winning smallish project
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Robert Collins <address@hidden>

    > On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 16:03, Robert Anderson wrote:

    > > tla get-patch cat--branch--0--patch-7
    > > tla dopatch --reverse cat--branch--0--patch-7.patches

    > > But this also removes the patch-log entries for patch-7, which is
    > > definitely not what you want.  Rather, you ought to be able to do:

    > Why is it 'definitely not what you want' ?

    > I backed out colin walters explicit commit behaviour patch in precisely
    > that fashion.

    > Rob

It's not `definately', really -- more like `sometimes'.  But it's a BIG
`sometimes'.

Sometimes you want to say, "Let's pretend that had never happened,"
(Rob's case) and other times you want to say "Ok, I made the same
change that was made previously -- only backwards,"  (Bob's case).

Of course, the abstract difference only ever makes a _real_ difference
in _real_ situations -- like running `whats-missing', for starters.

Yes, let's do get these casual readers thinking about patch-log
semantics,