[Gnu-arch-users] A Crystal Clear Statement of the Path problem

From: Michael Grubb
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] A Crystal Clear Statement of the Path problem
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:56:16 -0500

Ok,
So now that I've clouded and confused the issue, here is the clear cut facts on the path issue. I've finished my testing, and this is the results I get.

There doesn't seem to be a limit on tree depth. Only path length.
In my test I used all the letters in the English alphabet and the numerals
0-9. Starting in the C:\ root directory I created a directory for each letter that was a sub-directory of the preceding character (starting with a at the root.) I had 3 complete repetitions of the pattern and 1 partial a-n.
That results in 244 characters (including the \'s, but excluding the C:)
That's also 122 directories deep.
This means that there is no depth problem on the windows platform.
The problem is total path length. And this limit seems to settle at 244 characters (including the \'s, but excluding the C:).

I hope I've cleared the confusion of the issues up. Sorry for the two misleading posts previously.

Thanks,

MG