Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:28:11 +1000

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 07:21, Michael Grubb wrote:

> But the problem is not an inherent Cygwin problem. (It's not an arch
> problem, come to that.)
> It is a limitation of the underlying platform.  No matter how cygwin does
> what it does, it can never
> overcome this problem, until Microsoft fixes this limitation.

They have: use the unicode variants, and you'll get a max path length of
32K.

> Even if there is a cygwin work around, it is pointless, as the cygwin tools
> would be the only ones that could look at /manipulate files in such a
> tree.

Thats beside the point. Only arch needs to see the files in that deep
structure, compilers and the like only need the actual source files.

>  My thought is that instead of trying to go about effecting changes
> in two very large pieces of software(Windows,Cygwin) (one which we have
> much more influence over than the other (i.i.e.. we have 000000 control
> over Microsoft, and (0 > control < 1) over cygwin) we can try to get arch
> to work on both systems.

Sure, and reducing the length of path needed will do that. Attempting to
thunk around by path tricks won't.

Rob