Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to construct tagged version from working direct

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to construct tagged version from working directory
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:02:04 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Tez Kamihira <address@hidden>

    > I'm suffering from a network trouble for a few days.
    > I have a question.

    > Suppose I have a working directory of A/C--B--V--patch-N.
    > Working directory was created remotely. The archive and
    > working directory are separated by network. and I can't
    > access the original archive for the network trouble.

    > In such situation, Can I make a tag version of A/C--B--V--patch-N
    > without the reachability ? All I have is its pure working
    > directory only.

Nope.

    > If it possible, I can commit some additional work localy, and
    > after the network will be normal again, I will star merge the
    > result to the original remote repo.

Untested advice follows:

I think you can just import it to a local archive.  Commit changes
there happily.   And later star-merge.

You _might_ need a --reference argument to star-merge -- the exact
"ancstor-for-star-merge" algorithm isn't fresh in my mind, but the
path-log of your newly imported tree will have everything you need.
Worst case is that you need a --reference FOO where foo is the version
you were thinking of tagging from.