Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: 24 Sep 2003 10:00:16 -0700

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 09:46, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 01:59 US/Pacific, Miles Bader wrote:
>
> > Dustin Sallings <address@hidden> writes:
> >> I have to imagine this has been discussed, but is there a good reason
> >> to keep the arch stuff in {arch} vs. something like .arch ?  {arch} is
> >> a little difficult to deal with.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > I was a bit bothered by {arch} at first, because it was unfamiliar, but
> > that didn't last long.  On balance, it seems a pretty reasonable
> > choice;
> > the funny format makes it unlikely to conflict with existing
> > files/directories, and it's otherwise fairly unobtrusive (more so than
> > all UPPERCASED names).  I think it's actually a _good_ thing that it's
> > user-visible, because it tells you something important: `This source
> > directory is being handled by arch.'
> >
> > The only really annoying thing is that it gets hit by recursive
> > finds/greps/whatever -- but so does every other in-directory solution
> > (CVS, .svn, etc).
>
> I want to do a ``find *'' but that matches {arch}.  I end up
> doing a ``find [A-z]*'' which is slightly less fun to type.  Same thing
> when grepping, finding later, etc...

This really needs to be in the tutorial, as I think it may be the #1
FAQ.

In general 'tla inventory' replaces 'find' as your tool for working with
your source trees.

tla inventory is a special-purpose find for your source tree.  Think of
it as a "find" with a whole bunch of rules particular to your source
tree, defined by you as your naming conventions.

>       Also, when I want to edit something in there, it's slightly less
> convenient for me to type, ``vi ./\<shift>{[tab]'' than ``vi ./.a[tab]''

Broken shell.  Which one?

>       User visibility I don't think is as important.  I know what stuff is
> handled by arch because I keep my sources in a tree I can manage.

It becomes a lot more important as visual tree-root cue when you start
working with configurations.

Bob