Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:25:27 -0500

>>>>> "Doran" == Doran Moppert <address@hidden> writes:
Doran> All I'm after is a simple explanation of the design decision: the
Doran> preexistence of the dotfiles convention and the usability issues
Doran> with common tools make it seem questionable. Yes, many of these
Doran> "common tools" may be "broken" in some sense, but when you're
Doran> talking about some of the most widely used and deployed unix shells,
Doran> the code goes back a long way and calling for behaviour changes in
Doran> bash, tcsh and whatever else is not a very productive approach.
Doran> Nor do I think calling for the use of `tla inventory` over `find` is
Doran> appropriate: what, should my distribution Makefiles rely on tla??
Doran> Rename {arch} to .tla and suddenly find, tar and /usr/bin/* work in
Doran> the expected way on a project directory.
Doran> Normally I'm not for change-for-the-sake-of-change. A good reason is
Doran> needed to defy tradition. I sense you're similarly inclined, so I'm
Doran> just curious as to why this one was broken.

Well, given that Tom *did* use some dot-files and dot-directories in
arch/tla, then he must have put some thought behind the decision.  No?

I'd say that he didn't use ".arch" because he thought it was important to
have a visual indicator of the root of a arch workspace.  IIRC (from one of
the first times this topic came up), one of the reasons that he chose the
"{arch}" name was for sorting purposes.  As an example, "{arch}" shows up at
the bottom of an Emacs dired buffer which is more-or-less out of the way.

I believe that he also used the "++" and "=" characters for similar
reasons, except that these sort to the beginning of the listing.  The use
of a leading ",," for junk is a nice idea, IMO.

>From my own experience, I know that *any* file whose name starts with "++",
"=", "{" or "," is a tla artifact.  That in and of itself can be very
useful information.  The fact that I can't autocomplete into the "{arch}"
directory doesn't bother me since I very rarely manipulate anything
contained within.

Inasmuch as I've never seen anyone else use the "{foo}" directory naming
convention for *anything*, I don't see how modifying your hypothetical
makefile find invocations to ignore the "{arch}" directory will adversely
effect "normal" operations.

 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above
 are, ummm, facts.
"I'd rather feel bad than feel nothing at all." -- Warren Zevon