Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:27:28 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Jason McCarty <address@hidden>

    > The only valid argument I see against spaces in arch-versioned
    > files is that it would be a pain in the ass to redesign the arch
    > file formats and implement the functionality.

It would hardly be a pain in the ass and it doesn't require a
"redesign".

It requires an upward-compatible extension with, basically, just a few
tweaks.  I think that the problem is roughly on the scale of writing
or changing, perhaps, 1000-2000 lines of code.

To be sure, it's a change that has to be made carefully and testing
activity should be included in the effort -- we have most of the tools
for that already.

Me personally?  My plate is full right now.  It's going to be a while
before I spontaneously decide to hack-for-spaces just as something to
do.  But nobody should let that stop them from working up a patch.

Arguing whether or not its a desirable feature is pretty much beside
the point.