Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:37:14 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 17:30 US/Pacific, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

actually the only complication would be to give the user a choice for an
editor, but I assume nobody will complain if we start with a `vi`
hardcoded in the binary (ideally it should default to vi or check some
environment variable like EDITOR or similar, but I'm fine with vi
hardcoded and we can wait further complains before doing something
smarter ;).

I definitely wouldn't point anyone to a patch that didn't consider EDITOR. I like vi, and I believe it should be the default since it's most likely to be there and working correctly on all systems (the emacs that ships with OS X is unusable, for example). It's too easy to check for EDITOR, to avoid it.

Overall, I think this is a much easier thing than most of the arguments I've been having here. :) There's no reason this can't be implemented in such a way as to make everybody happy (well, except for the people who want it to work their own custom way without having to configure it to do so, but they don't count).

--
Dustin Sallings