Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:00:02 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 04:40:18PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> A short description is the sort of thing that you are likely to want
> to change for some files, over time -- perhaps to fix a typo, perhaps
> to change the description.     The instances where you will want to

I think the whole file data is the sort of thing that you are likely
want to change over time ;), I mean in a big tree, people won't
understand and delete it, I would do it for istance. A project could be
archived with arch today, and with another program tomorrow. The whole
logs and file data should remain totally indipendent from the software
used to manage them.

the metadata should simply be separated from the data, always, and there
should be an unique random autogeneration of IDs during all the
imports/adds, and all the other commands should update the db that
matches filename and fileposition to this ID.

then the whole tagging modes can go away, and we can make an option of
to do the checkins stricts or permissive.

this will also avoid collisions between two users adding the same file
with the same name and the same tag id (either explicit or inline).

For consistency arch should always do a local check, to verify that
there aren't IDs collisions, just to guaranteed perfect functionality
when working locally (when two users adds a file at the same time, it's
almost guaranteed, but not completely if I understood correctly how this
sort of distributed things work).

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk