Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:14:18 +0200

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:39:46AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> And how is it functionally different from the explicit tagging method?

the difference is that this way I don't need to think about it and all
the discussions about what method is better or about these tagging
issues will vanish. the whole tagging methods will go away.

after you have this, you forget about the whole issue.

there's no weird command to run and no risk of clashes across different
users that adds the same filename at the same time.

I understand you can emulate this with some scripting, but there's no
point in spending time in scripting these matters if tla can do
everything auotmatically and better than you would ever do with an xargs
script, internally.

This will simplify the usage too, and it'll make more robust. There's no
reason to default to names when you can default to the best possible
thing. a few paragraphs can move from the first section of the manual to
the last section and just specify some obscure internal behaviour you
may want to understand since the probability of clashes is not zero.

and this way you can do strict checkins always (and the option of the
strict checkin can go in ~/.arch... like the editor parameter).

yeah there is a disavantage: you can't delete with 'rm' and move with
'mv' and add with 'cp', but the strict checkin will make sure that you
do the right thing, if you forget it, it will bug you.

You have to remember to always put 'tla' before mv, cp, rm (mkdir
probably too) etc.. But I find this strict behaviour as a feature. I
don't want to risk to checkin a tree where I inserted garbage by
mistake.

of course I'm fine leaving the other methods and to have this "autotag"
method only optional, but I find much better to have it as the default
method, and I don't find much value in the tagline or the explicit
methods compared to this that generates a much better/safer unique id
automatically, and the "names" method lacks the feature so I see not
many reasons to leave it either, when the only cost is to remeber to put
tla in front of the comment.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk