Re: [Gnu-arch-users] why does "tla get" with many patches become slower

From: Denys Duchier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] why does "tla get" with many patches become slower and slower?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:33:58 +0200

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> (No, that shouldn't happen -- a fairly recently bug fix might be all
> that you're missing, though.)

I am running the newest and greatest from your archive (using config
emf.net/devo.tla).  Since my last message, I have taken to caching
revisions every 1000 patches.  I had a problem during my still
on-going battle with a CVS->arg conversion and interrupted at
patch-9747.  I then decided to cache a revision up to that point.

% tla cacherev address@hidden/mozart--main--0--patch-9747
* from archive cached: address@hidden/mozart--main--0--patch-9000
* patching for revision: address@hidden/mozart--main--0--patch-9001
* patching for revision: address@hidden/mozart--main--0--patch-9747

I was tracking that process from another shell and here is what ps had
to say very close to the end:

% ps --format 'cmd,time,etime' -p 5785
CMD                  TIME     ELAPSED
tla cacherev duc 00:31:46    01:24:47

Do you really think it is reasonable to require almost 1.5 hours to
apply 747 patches?

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier