Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 28 Sep 2003 14:58:16 +0200

[...]

    Andrea> However again, I'm fine that taglines are available too,
    Andrea> so I only need explicit mode to be safer (because explicit
    Andrea> obviously it can be implemented mathematically *safer*)
    Andrea> and more transparent than the tagline.

But again, that's wrong. With tagline and a key in your editor bound to
'uuidgen', you get mathematically safe embedded tags easily.

    Andrea> Since I need to use "explicit" for the strict commit, I
    Andrea> would only lose the math safety guarantee by using
    Andrea> tagline. I see only disavantages in tagline vs explicit,
    Andrea> if you need strict commit like I do.

No, no and no. With tagline and 'untagged-source unrecognized' you
exactly get your "strict commit". With 'tla tree-lint' you can check
that your files have valid unique tags before committing. And if you
commit without checking first, any discrepancy would abort the commit.

You only had one valid argument in favor of explicit tagging, the so
called "file pollution". Functionally, explicit tags only have
*disadvantages* compared to embedded tags.

--
rnf