Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:42:48 +0100

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:16:40AM +0200, Robin Farine wrote:

> [...]
>
>     Miles> From reading lkml regularly, I've noticed that Hans Reiser
>     Miles> seems to generally prefer optimization over, say,
>     Miles> robustness too (note this is based on what he _says_ not on
>     Miles> any evaulation of his software)...
>
> This thread is becoming a little scary, hmmm ... what about XFS?

I have seen at least as many screams from people whose data has been
eaten by XFS as by reiser. Aside from the issues with full-data
journalling, I haven't seen any from ext3 users in many years - not
that absence of evidence means anything here.

>     Miles> [...] unless you fall into the `disk trashed? no
>     Miles> biggie.' camp (which a fair number of people do, at least
>     Miles> for some of their disks).
>
> Well, not exactly, no, don't think so. Hey, I'm sure I don't.
>
> [head in the cupboard, looking for a brand new DAT tape]

DAT tapes use a helixal wind mechanism. Now those are *really*
unreliable - they put a great deal of strain on everything
involved. Both the drives and the tapes are prone to failure.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |