Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs--experimental--1.1 nearing doneness; call

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs--experimental--1.1 nearing doneness; call for testers
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:26:15 -0500

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:10, John Goerzen wrote:
> I have not run a checkin on this tree since Tom added the inode cache to
> tla, so I don't have complete stats for you yet.  I'll let you know once
> cscvs is ready.

One initial issue here: cscvs doesn't have support for importing bkcvs
repositories, and adding such support is not something I consider a
priority.

Are you considering cscvs "ready" at such time as you're able to run in
front-to-back even with the 2 redundant changesets (on average) for each
correct one, or will you consider it "ready" at such time as it's had
bkcvs-to-svn-like functionality?

Incidentally: bkcvs makes some guarantees [every revision in a given
changeset at the same timestamp, no two changesets at the same
timestamp] that make it ideal for doing a perfectly accurate cscvs-style
reconstruction very easily... but these guarantees are useless on other
repositories, and would mean having multiple code paths in places where
there's presently only one. If a "bkcvs mode" for cscvs is in high
enough demand, it *could* happen -- but it's not something I'm
particularly inclined to do; indeed, it might be better off maintained
as a separate branch.