Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical questions of archive ownership

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical questions of archive ownership
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:14:44 +0100

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 02:48:09PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Still, I'm curious what will happen in the future with emacs and other
> projects where there _isn't_ a strong central maintainer, and where the
> notion of a gate-keeper for the canonical sources is unlikely to be
> acceptable.  It may be that, as now, people do initial development/testing
> in their own archive/branch, but merge into a shared central
> archive/branch.

Here you want a patch queue manager. Your central archive then belongs
to a program which does all the merging (conflicts are "handled" by
bouncing the group of changes - no conflict resolution occurs in this
archive). Developers just pitch bundles of changesets at it; it can
also be responsible for running test suites and/or something like
tinderbox. Arbitrary criteria can be implemented for what changes are
allowed (like "must not cause it to fail to build").

[I've been working out the design for such a tool bit by bit, and
intend to implement one sometime in the next couple of months]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |