Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len

From: Paul Hedderly
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:46:15 +0100

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:05:34AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
>
>     > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>     > >     > I think you get (a), but (b) includes things like the patch
>     > >     > import system that has an automatic "renametool",
>
>     > > Yup.  I'm surprised that a "changeset-utils" package hasn't yet struck
>     > > anyone with time to work on it as a good project to start.
>
>     > The renametool thing has been written several times for arch, I think.
>
>     > At least, my tla-update-ids script does this renaming foo automatically
>     > (just run it after applying a patch file), as does the python script
>     > someone (Jan?) posted earlier, and doesn't tla_load_dirs do something
>     > similar?
>
> I was thinking of something more stand-alone that, for example,
> accepts a diff(1) patch on stdin and generates a changeset.    And,
> for polish, I gather the desire is for a short-cut from a diff in your
> mbox to .... something .... (a changeset browser?  a tree with the
> patch applied?  an entry in the patch-queue-manager of lore?)
>
> I'm not too concerned about the particular workflow he might want --
> more about having a good toolbox of less-than-ad-hoc components from
> which anybody's workflow could be assembled easily enough.

Anyone interested in a bit of perl I knocked up that looks for renames?

It takes as arguments two trees - and does a can for files that have
been obviously renamed - but also looks for files that have been
renamed, _and_ changed. There are two 'metrics' you can define in terms
of percentage of change.

On two kernel trees (without an {arch}) it takes about 20 seconds for a
full scan (without any cached directory info!).

Not quite sure what to do with it, but I'm also working on a tool that
will import a set of directories as project versions.

        address@hidden
                http://mjr.org/arch/{public}

Look at scan4renames.

--