[Gnu-arch-users] Re: is ,,patchset need in library revisions?

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: is ,,patchset need in library revisions?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:19:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Marc Martinez wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:07:25PM +0200, Pau Aliagas wrote:
> >
> > I've finished up coding the spare revision libraries, but there's one
> > thing I'm not sure about.
> >
> > In all the revisions there's a ,,patchset directory. I'm not sure if it's
> > of any use. The way I build the revisions using arch_replay_list doesnt
> > leave behind any ,,patchet dir. In fact I think it's an error and that it
> > should not be there.
> >
> > Am I right? Can I safely generate revisons without this information?
>
> I'm not entirely sure on Perspective these days, but the older PAB
> revision library browser and my own homebrew browser certainly both
> rely on the information in that directory for easy access to the
> changeset contents (I also use the ,,index and ,,index-by-name files
> for my inventory tracking facilities, to be able to tell at a glance
> which changesets modified a certain file).
>
> so, while not necessary to generate a working-directory out of a
> revision library it is useful metadata to have around.

,,patchset and its contents do not appear in the index files.
Although they an be useful to archive browsers, I don't think we should
keep redundant information if we can avoid it. If we talk about really big
projects like the linux kernel, this would mean thousands of useless
files and inodes.

So, is it safe not to generate it?

Pau