Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:07:19 -0700

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:13:51PM -0500, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> Zack>
> Zack> It's just strange because people have been advocating 'taglines' as
> Zack> if there is no justification to use anything else. If that were the
> Zack> case, why would arch support any alternatives?
>
> You know, that's a good point.  Maybe we should just remove the
> explicit-tags-only option. (That may not be the point that you wanted to
> make.)

I fully agree with you. If you don't want people to use 'explicit', then
take it out of tla. As long as it's in there, it seems perfectly OK to
use it.

> Zack> But there's no reason not to use 'explicit' for the Linux kernel. The
> Zack> 'tagline' method is one of arch's big features, and it's very cool
> Zack> and powerful, and there is *probably* a way to get it configured
> Zack> properly for almost any situation; but it's not necessary at all.
>
> No, there's no reason not to use "tagline" for the Linux kernel.  It gives
> you all the functionality of "explicit" while allowing you to move to
> taglines in the future.

But if the user doesn't like the 'tagline' method, there's no motivation
for them to plan to switch to it.

> Zack> I think if you or others start using arch for the kernel, there might
> Zack> one day be a movement to migrate from 'explicit' to 'taglines', and
> Zack> then that will be difficult. But I'm sure a way will be found when
> Zack> the time comes.
>
> Yes, heaven forbid that we would the use the solution that's in place
> already.

Why are you os inflamed about this? 'explicit' tagging exists as an
option in tla. What's the problem when someone chooses to use it?

Be well,
Zack