Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: 05 Oct 2003 11:21:39 -0700

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 10:57, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 10:15, Robert Anderson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 10:05, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> > > Now that "tla mv" is as capable as mv(1) (when did this happen?) I no
> > > longer find tagline quite as compelling:
> > >
> > > * Why is the "benefit" of not having to type "tla " before mv's in the
> > > project tree worth the cost of adding "arch-tag" to every file?
> >
> > 1) Typing at a command line is only one way to move files.  graphical
> > file managers and scripts that haven't parameterized "mv" (and who does
> > that?) are two examples.
>
> But performing simple "mv" is an inherently unreliable operation on any
> tree where some of the files are explicitly tagged (out of necessity).

No it's not.  "mv" will do exactly what it's supposed to do.  What I
think you mean is that the file-ids won't get moved.  And sure.  That's
what tree-lint is for.

> > 2) It may be quite common for people to work with arch controlled trees
> > who do not _have_ tla, and therefore typing it won't be very helpful.
>
> Without tla, it would not be possible to generate changesets, perform
> tree-lint, or execute any other operation that will use arch-tag's.

Of course not.  So?

The idea is that I send a tree to someone who works on it and sends it
back to me for inclusion of his changes.  He may use no source control
or something that he likes to use or is mandated to use that is not
arch.

Bob