Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: readdir() optimization for ext3/Linux 2.6

From: Momchil Velikov
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: readdir() optimization for ext3/Linux 2.6
Date: 06 Oct 2003 16:34:00 +0300

Ollivier> According to Florian Weimer:
>> We could call statfs() and check for the file system type, either for
>> each directory or once for the project root.

Ollivier> I'd be against (and I think Tom too) putting any kind of
Ollivier> FS-specific optimisations in Arch.

Why ?

Ollivier> Checking the FS is not enough, under FreeBSD for instance,
Ollivier> we don't have hashed directories on-disk but with
Ollivier> UFS_HASHDIR in the kernel, an in-memory hash table is
Ollivier> maintained.

How is this relevant to ext2 ? Does such ordering hurt FFS ?

~velco