Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Problem with webdav?

From: Gerhard Siegesmund
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Problem with webdav?
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:41:15 +0200

Remember the problem with

Could not resolve hostname `www.google.com': Host not found

(just entered cadaver www.google.com)

I dove into the code and used some of my lost gdb-powers and found the
problem in the code. Maybe it's an old glibc-bug. Remember, I am using
glibc-2.1.3.

All of this is shown in the code from cadaver as it was simpler to
follow. But as arch uses libneon, this should also apply to arch.

(Source from cadaver-0.22.0)

In libneon/ne_socket.c line 669 getaddrinfo is called with hint

        hints.ai_flags = AI_ADDRCONFIG;

My version of getaddrinfo answers this request with EAI_NONAME (-2). But
using a small test-programm I was able to show that if I don't use
ADDRCONFIG everything works correctly, meaning the host was correctly
resolved. So, in this case, also AI_ADDRCONFIG is defined in netdb.h,
here AI_ADDRCONFIG shouldn't be used. If I remove the parts from
socket.c where USE_ADDRCONFIG is set, everything works correctly.

One question remains, is this a problem only with my installation, or is
this a (maybe known) bug in glibc-2.1.3. How many people out there are
still using glibc-2.1.3?

Hope this helps.

--
cu