Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: semantics of restricted mkpatch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: semantics of restricted mkpatch
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:53:43 -0700 (PDT)

And, just to core dump a little bit:

The tree-delta part of a changeset, as I mentioned, is internally
defined in terms of the *-index mappings -- which are quite opaque to
human users.

You can pretty-print a changeset in the manner of `show-changeset',
describing the *-index changes as renames, adds, deletes, etc.

I think an interactive changeset edtior would work reasonably well if
it showed you the pretty-print format, let you "pick" individual
changes from that list, and told you in reply what _other_ changes
would have to be included in the factored changeset in order for it to
still be certain of applying cleanly to the ORIG tree.

A tool that could do that computation in a form suitable for calling
from an interactive interface would be a neat thing to have.