[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dyn

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: 08 Oct 2003 13:49:00 +0900

> Seriously, it looks a lot like the inside of Emacs in a number of
> ways.  Naming conventions are different, code grinding is different,
> but all-in-all I feel very much at home.  Once you've traced a couple
> of commands, you'll probably feel the same way.

Yeah, I found tla pretty grokkable.

It's (1) fairly tasteful (though you might eventually get annoyed by the
amount of duplicate code, and sometimees the soooper long lines can be
annoying), and (2) straightforward -- no trickiness for the sake of it,
(3) uses good long descriptive names for things, and (4) makes widespread
use of a few common abstractions from `libhackerlab', which I found
initially somewhat opaque (the names aren't as nice as those from arch
proper), but eventually make the code rather easier to understand as
they're a bit higher-level than typical C (I mean the string type and the
`reltable' stuff).

The last point was initially the biggest obstacle for me, so I think a
brief README about the common hackerlab functions used by tla might be
very useful.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche