[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees
Date: 08 Oct 2003 17:52:07 +0900

I'm confused as to why you're keying the revlib location on archive
name.

As you've seen from my postings, there are various ways I'd like to
arrange my revlibs/pristine trees, but which archive the revisions come
from rarely seems like a useful way to categorize things.  In most cases
it's way too _narrow_ a focus, because I use stuff from many libraries
which I'd like to use the same path for -- so having the specify it anew
for each new archive seems like a needless annoyance.  In other cases
it's too broad -- if I have several project trees from the same archive
located on different devices, I'd like the revlibs to be on the same
device as the project tree, not forced into a single location.

I'd much rather have tla just invoke a hook so that I can use my _own_
algorithm for locating revlibs (e.g. one of the scripts I posted
earlier).  tla can cache the path returned, so this needn't be
inefficient, and it seems far more useful than the simple algorithm
you've described.  [Who is that algorithm intended for?  I'd think most
people would either want maxium control or maximum simplicity, and it
offers neither.]

The question of course is what should happen for people that _don't_
supply a hook?  As far as I can see, a single static path is probably
reasonable for that case.

Thanks,

-miles
--