Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archives use cases

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archives use cases
Date: 08 Oct 2003 09:25:33 -0700

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 09:21, Clark McGrew wrote:
> I don't know... something about this conversation is tickling my funny
> bone.  Before it becomes completely circular, I'll try posing the
> question in a different way.

There was nothing circular about it, except for your unwillingness or
inability to pose a problem.

> Does anybody have experience dealing with archives with large numbers of
> categories?[1]

Yes.

> How have you organized the project?

According to the requirements for the project.

> What are your experiences keeping rein on category naming issues?

I have no trouble with "category naming issues."

> In my experience,
> most large projects can be broken into interrelated sub-projects.  Do
> you keep all of the sub-projects in the same archive or split into
> multiple archives?

In some cases the same, in some, split.

> What are the pro's and con's of the two approaches?

The pro is that in the case of split archives, I am solving a legal
problem, and in the other I have no such requirement.

> Have you used tla in the context of several independent, but
> cooperating, sub-groups?

No.

  Base on experience, what has worked?  What has
> not worked?
>
> How is tla being used in the context of a large project?

These are ridiculously vague questions, IMO.

I think you want to ask open-ended question, have people write essays,
and pick and choose what might be appropriate for you.  As for me, I
think that request is bordering on rude.  You're asking me to guess at
what's relevant to you, and that's a waste of my time.

Ask specific questions, and you're more likely to get answers.

A much better set of questions might look like "I have project X and I'm
considering setting it up like Y.  I have these requirements A, B, and C
that I can think of which might affect these decisions.  Does this seem
like the best setup, given my requirements?"

I see you took a step in the right direction in your next post.  Moving
on to that...

Bob