Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 06:14:35 -0700

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:11:06PM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Zack Brown:
> > The kernel is more than just a 'canonical' example, it's the only large free
> > project that has been able to identify true needs that cannot be satisfied
> > by
> > free versioning tools.
>
> That's not correct. The FreeBSD project has been using Perforce for some years
> now for side projects that gets committed to CVS later like most of the SMPng
> and the new ports (sparc64/PPC).
>
> Perl has been also using Perforce for at least 4 years for the same reason:
> CVS limitations.
>
> > Not just tla, but *any* project can benefit from such a set of potential
> > users. And the Linux kernel developers represent the *only* set of users
> > that we know of, who would (a) rather use a free tool, and (b) are currently
>
> Look around please :)

I'm happy to be corrected! :-)

Does anyone know of other such projects? I don't think it's very easy for
someone who doesn't already know about them, to find out. Google is almost
useless for that kind of search, I think. But whichever ones there are,
the kernel, FreeBSD's side projects, Perl, etc., probably represent really
valuable resources for arch, as well as some potentially high-profile
success stories.

It would be nice to see a list of such projects on one of the arch web
pages.

Has anyone approached the FreeBSD and Perl guys to see what they feel
their needs are? Has anyone tried e.g. creating a Perforce->arch gateway
for the Perl repository?

Be well,
Zack