Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Ethan Benson <address@hidden>

    > On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:33:38AM -0400, Miles Bader wrote:

    > > a large system.  Presumably since you (elsewhere) advocate
    > > using file-system permissions, you think it's OK to have a
    > > system-user per archive-committer, right?  Is the number of
    > > projects so much larger than the number of committers that
    > > creating a user-per-project actually presents a problem?  What
    > > about adding groups to support access control?

    > as i have pointed out, sysadmins worth thier salt are not going to
    > allow shared accounts with multiple having access to it.

How did you get from Miles' "system-user per archive-committer" to
"shared accounts with multiple [people] having access to [each
account]"?

Regardless, it is entirely reasonable to permit limited but shared
access to an account with suitably restricted capabilities.  Indeed,
it is one of the oldest traditions in unix and I doubt that there are
many if any non-embedded unix systems in the world that don't use that
technique already (though in the case of single-user systems, the
sharing is limited to a user community of one).  You didn't
_point_out_ anything about "sysadmins worth their salt", you
_asserted_ a falsehood about them.