[Gnu-arch-users] Getting revisions w/ HTTP protocol and time to complete

From: Edouard Gomez
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting revisions w/ HTTP protocol and time to complete
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:28:57 +0200

Hello,

I know there was a discussion about intermediate patche-(N)-(N+M)
patches to speed up the "tla get" command w/ distant archives.

As i don't remember all the details,  and i don't find the thread in the
archive  (this  last  month is  only  one  big  thread covering  lot  of
topics... :-( ) I would like having some news about this topic.

In my  case, having intermediate pacthes  would not really  be worth it,
because patches  are really small,  and thus getting  the patch/applying
the patch is not a costful operation. I get this for only 70 revisions:

$ time tla get address@hidden/xvidcore--devapi4--1.0
 real 1m9.004s
 user 0m5.632s
 sys 0m3.024s

On this 1m9s  total, ~30s are spent going through  every revision dir to
find a cached rev.

In order to compare, getting it from CVS, i get:
$ time cvs -z9 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/xvid co -r dev-api-4 xvidcore
real 0m9.824s
user 0m0.204s
sys 0m0.141s

So as a first step, for  speeding up the get command, is there somewhere
(an archive  :-) with  an implementation of  a kind of  "super" .listing
file that  lists recursively all the  contents of revision  dirs for all
category versions. This  way the cached rev searching  could be replaced
by a simple file retrieval + string search.

This "super"  index would not fill the  gap between tla and  cvs, but it
would make  tla feel  much responsive  as it would  find the  cached rev
faster,  thus  beginning what  the  user  preceives  as the  "real"  get
command, ie get patch levels and apply them.

--
Edouard Gomez