[Gnu-arch-users] [ot] support the GNU project by breaking it

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [ot] support the GNU project by breaking it
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:05:27 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a dangerous but hopefully helpful meme.

* A Problem

  gnu.org and savannah.gnu.org exhibit a shortage of both hardware and
  administrative resources.

  Given the global impact of the GNU project, this is a shameful
  circumstance.

  It's not like the commercial alternative is doing better:
  SourceForge is suffering from CVS bogosities and is currently
  busking for money, just like me.   Imagine that: one of the original
  "open source" ipo superstars now using the same business model as
  me: ask nicely for money.

* Towards A Solution

  Let's force a crisis.  Let's demand to move all free software
  projects to "savannah", whatever that will turn out to mean.
  Regarding the current form of savannah, let's swamp them, overwhelm
  them, and make them a single point of failure -- all the while
  making noise to the effect that:

        1) We want to work with the GNU project
        2) They are swamped
        3) They are a single point of failure

  At some point, you have to throw up your arms and say to some else:
  "You made this problem, _you_ fix it!."

  Go on strike.   Spend the next two months insisting that you migrate
  to a GNU project sponsored host.    Make a crisis for the vendors.