Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:57:51 -0500

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 22:35, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> You're probably just pulling limbs, but a Java version of arch won't really
> fly.
>
> No concept of group or owner and no concept of permission bits[1].
>
> You *can* get around such things via some native library code, but that
> rather defeats the "run-anywhere" model.

I'm not sure that "run anywhere" is *nearly* as interesting as a
sufficiently solid implementation of "compile anywhere"... heck, any
Java-based arch implemenation I happened to be using would almost
certainly be native-compiled via gcj to avoid JVM startup time, so why
not have a bit more of native code in there too?

Heck, if gcj is the target compiler, that means the native code can be
using CNI -- so it'd be short, readable native code rather than the
opaque trash that is JNI... and of course by the nature of not being
Java, it's all kept in one place and nicely separated from the
platform-independant code. I'd hazard that it'd weigh in under 80 lines
per platform if done right.

So no, I'm not sure that a Java version of arch is an inherently Bad
Idea, or at least not for the reason above.