Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Nit
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:28:17 +0100

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 03:22:11AM -0500, Mark A. Flacy wrote:
> Andrew>
> Andrew> [Incidentally, due to shoddy exceptions in the java standard
> Andrew> library itself, java's blocking sockets interface is utterly
> Andrew> useless for writing reliable network code; you must use the java
> Andrew> 1.4 non-blocking sockets interface. So java-with-exceptions is
> Andrew> actually worse than C-with-error-handling in some cases]
>
> I'm not sure what you are talking about.  We've been writing reliable
> network code with the Java 1.2.2 runtime for 3 years now.

There's no way to distinguish between temporary and permanent socket
errors. Treating a temporary error as a permanent error will lose
connections, and treating a permanent error as a temporary error will
consume a lot of processing power.

One notable case I remember where this is fatally flawed is accepting
a connection from a listening socket.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |