[Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge and up

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge and update/replay defaults
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:47:52 -0500

I've added a few patches since my last notice:

address@hidden
  tla
    tla--mainline
      tla--mainline--1.1

[...]

        patch-45
          [make-archive] give a nice error message if the directory exists

        patch-46
          DAV: use / for cwd if none is set

        patch-47
          merge with lord

        patch-48
          add vim ".swp "files to default backup regexp

        patch-49
          star-merge can default to TO revision

        patch-50
          undo: allow specifying just a patch level

Of these, I want to talk about patch-49 a bit.  Let me give the
archive-log:

----
This allows you to just specify an archive to merge from, as in:
tla star-merge -A address@hidden
In other words, if `tla tree-version` returns
address@hidden/bla--mainline--1.3, then the star-merge expands
to tla star-merge address@hidden/bla--mainline--1.3.
----

I'd actually like to go a bit farther, and have just "tla star-merge"
default to star-merging from the last fully-qualified revision you
tagged from.  This again captures the most common star configuration.

Thoughts on that?

And now for a more controversial change I'd like to make: Have
update/replay default to crossing branch versions.  An explanation:
Suppose that I have this archive:
address@hidden
  rhythmbox
    rhythmbox--mainline

      rhythmbox--mainline--0.5
        base-0 .. patch-3

      rhythmbox--mainline--0.6
        base-0 .. patch-271

A user does 'tla get address@hidden/rhythmbox'.  They
naturally get rhythmbox--mainline--0.6.  However, suppose later I create
a --0.7 version.  What I want to happen is when the user types 'tla
replay', it should notice that there's a new version, and do the tla
set-tree-version trick automatically.  In order to get the old behavior,
you have to say 'tla replay --exact' (or something, suggestions for a
better commandline option name are appreciated).

This way tla behaves very similar to how CVS does; a user can just check
out --mainline (HEAD), and stay current just by using 'tla update' or
'tla replay'.

Comments?