[Gnu-arch-users] minor extension to arch protocol

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] minor extension to arch protocol
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:52:33 -0500

Hi,

I'd like to propose a small change to arch (and to tla).  Specifically,
I'd like to be able to call "=tagging-method" just "tagging-method".

My rationale is that revision control systems shouldn't hardcode a
preference about sorting order, and especially not for files that the
user is expected to edit.  The other metacharacter prefixes that arch is
associated with (',', '+') have at least mostly useful meanings to
arch.  '=' doesn't.  Plus '=' is the metacharacter that my shell hates
the most.

This is implemented in patch-5 in my archive for tla:

address@hidden
  tla
    tla--lifeless-integration
      tla--lifeless-integration--1.1

[...]
        patch-5
          accept tagging-method as well as =tagging-method

I also think the default should be changed to just "tagging-method", but
that'll come later.

Now, arch does hardcode = in a ton of other places, like in changesets,
but I'm much less concerned about that.  I still think it's wacky, but
at least I don't have to constantly see it and deal with it.