Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: minor extension to arch protocol

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: minor extension to arch protocol
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:22:33 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 18:11, Colin Walters wrote:

> Ok, I've heard conflicting things on this, and Tom didn't explicitly
> say...

the choice of = in other files, such as =RELEASE-ID is based on the sort
order in emacs, yes. But for files in discussion: those in {arch}, it's
a namespace issue.

> And that justification only applies to {arch} - the fact that = is used
> in other places makes me suspect that there is some nominal rationale
> behind it, although as far as I can tell it's mostly random (why is it
> =INSTALL but not =COPYING?  Why not =src?  Why not =configure?)  If the
> rationale is not sorting order (as you assert), then what is it?

I don't see a =INSTALL in my tla managed trees.. where do you? Don't
conflate Tom's preferences with the design choices under {arch}.
Changing the {arch} structure should be for significant wins, and IMO
this isn't one.

> > You can use `=' or not use it as you wish in the `user portion' of your
> > sources.
>
> =tagging-method is clearly in the user portion, since it needs to be
> edited in order to make tla even able to commit anything for my
> projects.

So, perhaps a gui :
tla add-inventory-pattern precious "\..*\.swp"
tla delete-inventory-pattern precious "\..*\.swp"
tla show-inventory pattern precious ...

Rob