Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Savannah vs. Open Software License

From: Anselm Lingnau
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Savannah vs. Open Software License
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:33:39 +0100

Samium Gromoff wrote:

> 3. while signing the contract with the consumer you have this
>    or something semantically equivalent to this clause included
>    in it:
>
> "You, as a user, agree to drop the right to redistribute
>  the source code of the binary we sell you."
>
>  The trick is that the international contract law overrides the GPL.
>
> Like it?

Doesn't work. The only way »you« are entitled to distribute stuff based on
somebody else's GPL code is by giving the recipient the full GPL rights,
including redistribution of the source code. Once you get up to cute little
contract law tricks to try and change that, you're not allowed to give the
recipient the software to begin with in the first place. It's not quite
*that* easy.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
Linup Front GmbH, Robert-Bosch-Strasse 7, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany