Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch status on debian

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch status on debian
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:36:59 +0000

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:17:21AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Rob> "snapshot" packages should go into the experimental
>     Rob> distribution of Debian, not unstable.
>
> Huh?  That's a silly way to look at it.  The line of development of
> tla that is expected to be stable when Debian unstable goes into
> testing should be in Debian unstable.  That ain't 1.0.  Current form
> of distribution is irrelevant.

I suggest that you leave production of stable distributions to those
who are experienced at it. This is neither sensible nor the way we do
things. The rule is "You upload stable software to unstable" (there's
a whole pile of reasoning behind it, but that's grossly offtopic).

Similarly, the contents of testing should be what you [maintainer] are
willing to release *today*. Not what you hope will become something
suitable for release later.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |