Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:29:52 +1100

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:25, John Kinson wrote:
> >>If not, then arch will still face the significant obstacle of requiring
> >>a specially patched version of Cygwin in order to run.
> >
> > Wouldn't work: we'd need a full distribution (or at least replacement
> > tar et al packages). Simply fixing the .dll will allow the changes to
> > roll forward via recompiles.
>
> You lost me on the last sentence - did you mean would not allow the
> changes to roll forward?

I mean, that if we had a patched copy of cygwin1.dll, it wouldn't help
as internal buffers in tar et al would still be too small. So, we'd need
both a new cygwin1.dll and tar et al. The last sentence would read more
clearly as "Fixing cygwin1.dll in the official distribution will solve
this because all the relevant packages can just be recompiled and
reissued."

Rob