Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:39:14 -0600

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 15:51, address@hidden wrote:
> Targeting beginning users is what a GUI is for. The first screen in my
> (very alfa) GUI tool shows only the need for updating and committing
> changes.

A friendly GUI is not a good substitute for a friendly CLI. A great many
users prefer CLIs even when  GUIs are available. Even given the
availability of gCVS and the like, look at how many users prefer the
command line.

There are several reasons for this; personally, I find the CLI less
intrusive than starting up a new tool (with a new window) for each tiny
operation I wish to perform (or keep Yet Another Process running while I
work).

Having a good GUI or three is fine -- but *most* folks on UNIX use CVS
as a command line program whether or not GUIs are available; I expect
that *most* UNIX users will likewise prefer a good CLI for TLA.