[Gnu-arch-users] Re: robin's per-directory regexps

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: robin's per-directory regexps
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:09:36 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robert Collins <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 05:05, Tom Lord wrote:
    > > * the inventory tag of ".arch-inventory" files

    > >   then the two copies of the .arch-inventory file have=20
    > >   distinct tags.   Changes I make to mine will not be=20
    > >   applied to yours if you merge my changes.

    > Yes, we considered that, and thought that a names style approach, was
    > the easiest for the user... getting rid of the special case is trivial.
    > May I suggest though, that it be special cased by tree-lint?

What you said makes no sense to me.

With a names tag, changesets that modify .arch-inventory don't apply
correctly in the face of tree-deltas.  How is that "easiest for the
user" except in the sense that systems that don't support tree-deltas
at all are "easier" than those that don't?

What does tree-lint have to do with anything?

    > >   Correcting this bug, however, will break revisions=20
    > >   that already use the .arch-inventory patch. =20

    > Thats fine ;). We early adopters knew the risks.

Yeah, that's the question from my perspective.

    > > * Changes to the "ancient defaults"

    > >   The patch changes the "ancient default regexps" to add
    > >   .arch-inventory to the excludes regexps.

    > Ah, whoops. I missed that. Sorry :[.

I figured but I'm thinking of leaving it in anyway (for reasons
given).

[We "close enough to agree" about the rest.]