[Gnu-arch-users] off-the-cuff pie-in-the-sky wish

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] off-the-cuff pie-in-the-sky wish
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:53:45 -0500

Lately I've gotten into some pretty intricate situations where
I've got code "modules" re-used across quite a few different
programs.  I implement this in arch with categories for each
module and configurations to pull them into complete buildable
trees.  I've got 5 or 6 different programs each comprised of 5-10
different modules, with most modules appearing in at least 2-3
different programs.

Lately I am doing a lot of "hmm, I've changed module X.  Which
programs depend on module X again?  I better go back and at least
build them all (and run tests suites if I have them for that
program) to make sure I haven't broken something in one of those
other contexts."

This seems like a really nice area for automation.  A
configuration-based dependency tree that serves as a kind of
meta-make that goes back and rebuilds (and/or tests) everything
when a dependency (a category) goes "out of date" (i.e., a new
patch is added).

I can't build it anytime soon, but it never hurts to throw these
things out there in case it resonates with someone who might be
able to.  Or gets thrown into a notes file for overarch, or
something.

Bob