[Gnu-arch-users] Command serialization

From: Moritz Muehlenhoff
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Command serialization
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:04:48 +0100

I'd like to propose a kind of command serialization mechanism:
When working with SFTP and interactive-auth tla requires the input
of the password multiple times (e.g. typically three times for
"tla update"). Would it be feasible to perform all those transfers
over a single connection? This might be useful for other transport
mechanisms as well.
You may ask, why I don't authenticate through RSA pubkey mechanisms.
The reason for that is the kerborized nature of OpenAFS. Working
with multicommitors on a central repository is way too error prone
with traditional Unix filesystem semantics; there's always that certain
weasel in every working group that messes with his umask and causes
major maintenance hassles. AFS uses ACLs while ignoring -go and provides
a very nice solution, as you simply set up an ACL per repository working
group. Unfortunately Kerberos requires passwd-based auth to generate
a ticket for AFS and there's no sane way to circumvent this.