Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pika 0.1pre3 -- writer, vectors, contributions

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pika 0.1pre3 -- writer, vectors, contributions
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:27:53 -0800

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:04:08AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
A new release from the Pika Scheme project is available at the
usual mirrors:

Sounds cool; will there be support for POSIX system calls?  Will this
depend on a bunch of other libraries, or will I be able to stick this as
a completely self-contained program in the X source tree?

Also, I respect your effort to make Pika completely R5RS compliant, but
I dislike hygeinic macros.  After reading Paul Graham, I can see how
non-hygeinic macros are useful for some things.  I *also* read a paper
showing how R5RS "hygeinic" macros really aren't; you can go through
some ugly contortions to break the hygeine.

Since macro side effects can be useful, why make a person go through
contortions to obtain them?  I can see maybe adding some syntactic sugar
to make such side effects intentional, but why try to eliminate them
altogether?  I mean, we put safety guards on our Skil saws, but we don't
cover over the blade completely; what good is a saw that you can't cut
anything with?

http://paulgraham.com/

Cheers!

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-951-4142
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org